The ‘Porcelain by Saint Petersburg Private Factories’ exhibition presents circa 400 articles that were produced by the prominent Factory of Philip Batenin and the Kornilov Brothers’ Factory, from the Russian Museum collection.
In the Russian Museum the Batenin’s porcelain is presented by the most various and first-rate articles: from numerous cups, decorative vases and services to things for washing and figured jugs. Cups and gift mugs were the special matter of this factory. On the exhibition as well as in the museum’s collection this is the biggest group of items that are extremely diverse in form and picturesque decoration. Luxurious golden vases and services with typical bunches of flower and garlands, as well as the architecture views of Saint-Petersburg were the visiting cards of the factory.
In 1838 the factory was closed due to the fire that destroyed all the shops. All the materials were sold to the Kornilov Brothers’ Factory. Many masters passed to this factory. In the collection of porcelain by the Kornilov Brothers’ Factory was preserved the production of vases with views of Saint Petersburg that were similar to the Batenin’s patterns. The range of articles was diverse. The factory produced mugs, plates and services. But the china plastic art took also the important place in the factory’s manufacture. The factory produced articles that had the most fantastical outlines at time didn’t serve their purpose. Equally a national theme: depicting of genre scenes from a life of city tradesmen and craftsmen, and ‘the Russian Style’ found their reflection in a production of the factory.
The foundation of the Russian Museum collection is the exhibits that were aquired by the Russian Museum in 1920-1930s through the Museum Fund and the Hermitage from private collections (Grand Duke, Yusupov’s, Shuvalov’s and others) that were nationalized after the October Revolution, as well as from the museum of the former Baron A.L.Shtiglitz's Central School of Technical Drawing.
12 march—14 september 2020
February 26, 2020, marks the 175th anniversary of the birth of Emperor Alexander III, whose name was given to The State Russian Museum in April 1895. Special mention is made of Alexander III's merits in museum construction and art education, which was due to his undoubted passion for history and fine arts.
6 february—9 march 2020
Belsky brothers (Ivan (1719-1799), Alexey (1729-1796) and Efim (1730-1778)) were the greatest masters of the painting team of The Chancellery (later The Office) of buildings of Her Imperial Majesty. For more than half a century they performed the most responsible painting work commissioned by Empresses Elizabeth and Catherine the Great.
The collection of masterpieces, chosen by the Russian Museum will allow you to make a first impression of the collection of the Russian Museum.
Russian Museum - one of the world's largest museums and is perhaps the only country where such a full treasure of national culture are presented.
Virtual tour of the museum complex. 2009 (Rus., Eng., Ger., Fin.)
In the online shop of the Russian Museum presented a huge range of souvenirs, illustrated editions and multimedia disks.
Be informed about news, events and exhibitions of the Russian Museum
The State Russian Museum
The Russian Museum is the exclusive owner of all the interior images and pieces of art of the Russian Museum collection, as well as all the images and text information given on its official site. The usage of the texts and images provided on the site is only allowed with the permission of the Russian Museum.