On 26 May 2005 the Mineral Study in the Stroganov Palace was opened after restoration and recreation of interiors. The study was designed by Andrei Voronikhin in 1791-92. It was considered as one of the masterpieces of Russian architecture of the 18th century. It was meant for the library of Count Alexander Stroganov and display of the collection of minerals. The Mineral Study is a room with two tiers of windows. Fluted columns of Corinthian order, made of artificial marble, support spandrels on which leans a gallery of the second tier. The first tier is decorated with four allegorical bas-relieves representing four elements: "Fire", "Earth", "Air" and "Water". The perspective painting of the cupola was probably executed by Petro Gonzago in the early 19th century. In the mid-19th century the room was turned into a Billiard Room. The second tier was isolated by an iron cupola and a tiled stove was set instead of one of the bookcases. Later on, in the 1950-80s the panting of the cupola suffered from numerous leakings. The cupboards of the upper tier became absolutely useless. Now, the room has got the design conceived by the architect Andrei Voronikhin. In 1919 the collection of minerals from the Stroganov Palace was conveyed to the Alexander Fersman Mineralogical Museum, which took part in recreation of exposition of minerals. More over, the Russian Museum was presented a chest with polished plates of various species that belonged to the Stroganovs. The St Petersburg Museum of Mines granted part of minerals to modern exposition.
17 june—23 august 2021
The exhibition is dedicated to the centenary of the birth of Vladimir Sergeevich Vasilkovsky (1921-2002), an outstanding figure of St. Petersburg culture. He left an impressive mark in the urban environment: modern St. Petersburg cannot be imagined without the buildings and bridges designed by Vasilkovsky. One of the facets of the master's work will be shown in the exhibition - his graphics and ceramics.
28 december 2020—7 june 2021
The Leningrad Rock Club was established in early 1981 and has become a true center of attraction for musicians whose art did not fit into the Soviet cultural framework. The Leningrad Rock Club was a sign of the era of upcoming changes in the country and even now, after forty years, it is hardly needed to explain what was its role in the cultural and social life of Leningrad and, more broadly, the country.
The collection of masterpieces, chosen by the Russian Museum will allow you to make a first impression of the collection of the Russian Museum.
Russian Museum - one of the world's largest museums and is perhaps the only country where such a full treasure of national culture are presented.
Virtual tour of the museum complex. 2009 (Rus., Eng., Ger., Fin.)
In the online shop of the Russian Museum presented a huge range of souvenirs, illustrated editions and multimedia disks.
Be informed about news, events and exhibitions of the Russian Museum
The State Russian Museum
The Russian Museum is the exclusive owner of all the interior images and pieces of art of the Russian Museum collection, as well as all the images and text information given on its official site. The usage of the texts and images provided on the site is only allowed with the permission of the Russian Museum.