Gérard de la Barthe, French painter and watercolorist, worked in Russia between 1787 and 1810.
In the late 1780s, de la Barthe painted views of Tsarskoye Selo, and in the second half of the 1790s, he created a series of watercolors and paintings depicting views of Moscow and its suburbs that became widely popular due to etched reproductions of them. De la Barthe earned his reputation as a skillful artist, equally successful as a landscape painter, a view painter, and a "figurist", masterfully rendering the bustling everyday life of a big city.
The exhibition at the St Michael's Castle included 15 paintings from the Moscow series by Gérard de la Barthe, accessioned into the Museum's collection in 1931 from the Alexandrovsky Palace in Tsarskoye Selo and never yet exhibited in its entirety.
The display also includes views of Moscow painted around the same time by I. V. Moshkov (1778–1845) and etchings depicting the 1812 Fire of Moscow, the landscape backgrounds of which are based on de la Barthe's vedute.
An interactive program
The program is available in Russian, English and Italian.
The video movie in 7 languages
The program is available in Russian, English and French.
The collection of masterpieces, chosen by the Russian Museum will allow you to make a first impression of the collection of the Russian Museum.
Russian Museum - one of the world's largest museums and is perhaps the only country where such a full treasure of national culture are presented.
Virtual tour of the museum complex. 2009 (Rus., Eng., Ger., Fin.)
In the online shop of the Russian Museum presented a huge range of souvenirs, illustrated editions and multimedia disks.
Be informed about news, events and exhibitions of the Russian Museum
The State Russian Museum
The Russian Museum is the exclusive owner of all the interior images and pieces of art of the Russian Museum collection, as well as all the images and text information given on its official site. The usage of the texts and images provided on the site is only allowed with the permission of the Russian Museum.